In 1955 Ella Merle and her daughter Dede Kline rose to an auspicious challenge of helping animals who had fallen through the cracks of society in Columbia County.Â Through their dedication and exhaustive efforts, one small building with five dog kennels has today become a multi-faceted animal welfare organization holding up to sixty dogs and one hundred cats. Over the last six decades CGHS/SPCA has expanded its services in the community to include low-cost veterinary services (serving more than two thousand animals each year), food bank (providing 30,000 lbs. of free food each year to families in need), stray dog housing, assisting law enforcement with cruelty cases, community outreach, humane education just to name a few. In addition to providing programs for all animals in need, CGHS/SPCA also offers boarding, daycare and grooming services to the public. The boarding area is state of the art wing that offers spacious, safe kennels for all sizes and breeds of dogs.Â All boarding and daycare dogs are offered outside exercise pens to runs and play. And best of all, funds generated from these services help provide crucial funding for all animals that are lost, unwanted and/or victims of cruelty served by CGHS/SPCA.
Despite not receiving any federal, state or county funding CGHS/SPCA continues to develop and expand programs and services for all animals that find their way to our doorsteps. We rely on the generosity of donors to help us help them. CGHS/SPCA is a non-profit 501 3 C organization and all donations are tax deductible. We are proud of our history and what we have become today, and we don’t plan on stopping here. With the help of those like you, we will continue to make change, make hope, and make legacies.